General Fonseka was accused of inciting violence by, in an interview given to the Sunday Leader, alleging that Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa gave an illegal order not to accommodate any LTTE cadres attempting to surrender with white flags.
Fonseka, is currently serving a 30-month jail term imposed by a court martial, will in addition face 3 years imprisonment.
In a 2-1 split verdict, the three-judge at the High Court bench in Colombo found Fonseka guilty of violating emergency regulations by "spreading rumours and causing public disorder" giving an interview with the editor of weekend paper Sunday Leader Federica Jansz .
It is alleged that in this Interview the former General had suppose to have said that the Defence Secretary had ordered field commanders to kill white flag-carrying Tamil rebels in the final stages of Sri Lanka's separatist conflict in May 2009.
The defence secretary Gotabhaya Rajapakse firmly denied these allegation while giving evidence during the 16-month trial.
General Fonseka rejected firmly that he ever made such a statement. He said "I have never made any statement that was in opposition to the country or the army,". Fonseka stood by his view that he had been misquoted and stated further that journalist Frederica Janz had distorted his reply to build a story.
Police Station in charge of the Court area in Hultsdorf, Colombo, obtained permission from the court yesterday to provide tight security to the Court Complex and disperse the crowd if there were protests.
This website learns from sources at the air port in Colombo that Ms. Frederica Jansz, the journalist who interviewed Sarath Fonseka and the managing director of Sunday Leader Mr. Lal Wickrematunge has left Sri Lanka yesterday one day ahead of the delivery of the verdict fearing attacks on their life.